- Katz MAcc Alum Begins Accounting Career with Schneider Downs
- Wednesday, January 18, 2017
In his role as a Staff Accountant for Schneider Downs, Michael Leopold (MAcc '16), is part of a team that works to prepare corporate, partnership, and individual tax returns. He is involved in the research of tax compliance issues, transaction analysis, and planning.
- Record-High 75 Organizations at the Pitt Business Career Development Conference
- Friday, October 28, 2016
More than 1,000 Pitt Business students connected with recruiters from a record-high 75 recruiting organizations at the 2016 Pitt Business Career Development Conference. The day provided an integrated approach to career development with Industry Panel Sessions, networking opportunities, and a career fair with organizations from Pittsburgh and nationwide.
- Student Internship Leads to Veteran Recognition Award for Sabre Systems, Inc.
- Friday, October 28, 2016
Emily DuPont is a junior at Pitt Business, earning the Human Resource Management and Business Information Systems dual degree. She says her goal is to pursue a career in HR and motivate employees to accomplish incredible things.
- Former Navy SEAL Connects the World of Special Operations and the World of Startups
- Friday, October 28, 2016
Mike Janke, a former 12-year member of SEAL Team 6, led the October 2016 Thought Leader discussion, “SEAL Team 6 to Silicon Valley — Unique Strategies Applied to Modern Startups.” During the session, Janke shared his unconventional path toward entrepreneurship with dozens of Pitt Business veterans and aspiring entrepreneurs.
- Thursday, November 3, 2016: Pitt Business Alumni Event in Philadelphia
- Wednesday, September 28, 2016
All Pitt Business alums are invited to join us on Thursday, November 3 for an alumni event in Philadelphia.
- Wednesday, October 26, 2016: Pitt Business Alumni Gathering in Tokyo
- Wednesday, September 28, 2016
All Pitt Business alumni are invited to attend an alumni gathering on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 in Tokyo.
- Friday, October 14, 2016: New Orleans Pitt Alumni Reception
- Wednesday, September 28, 2016
Join us for an all Pitt alumni reception on Friday, October 14 in New Orleans.
- Tuesday, October 11, 2016: Thought Leader- Mike Janke
- Tuesday, September 27, 2016
All Pitt alums and community members are invited to attend this Thought Leader presentation featuring Mike Janke on Tuesday, October 11. The topic for this lecture will be "SEAL Team 6 to Silicon Valley - Unique Strategies Applied to Modern Startups."
- Katz MBA Alum Succeeds in Healthcare Industry
- Tuesday, August 2, 2016
Christopher Mensah (MBA '15) is an industrial engineer for the Veterans Engineering Resource Center of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs. He says his knowledge of business fundamentals are essential to managing a successful non-profit organization.
- Pitt PBL Students Earn National Recognition
- Thursday, July 14, 2016
Five students from the University of Pittsburgh College of Business Administration Phi Beta Lambda (PBL) student business organization traveled to Atlanta, Georgia received top honors and national recognition for their performance during the 2016 Phi Beta Lambda National Leadership Conference.
- A Career Switch Proves To Be A Sweet Move for Katz Alum
- Thursday, June 30, 2016
A recipient of the PBAN scholarship, Brian Burton (MBA '15) was able to take advantage of outside the classroom opportunities while earning his MBA, which helped prepare him to re-enter the workforce following graduation.
- Katz Alumna Proves Value of PBAN Scholarship
- Tuesday, June 14, 2016
As a student at the Katz Graduate School of Business, LaTriece Holland (MBA ’16) was actively involved in several student organizations, helped to orchestrate one of the largest case competitions in Pittsburgh, and was selected to the Kenneth R. Woodcock Fellows Program. Her participation in extracurricular activities as a full-time MBA student was largely due to the scholarship she received from the Pitt Black MBA Network (PBAN).
- Pitt Business Alum Connects Students to Financial Services Industry
- Friday, June 10, 2016
A group of students from the University of Pittsburgh’s College of Business Administration traveled to New York City in February 2016 to visit the U.S. headquarters of Fitch Ratings, a global leader in financial information services. The visit was made possible because of Brett Van Dyke’s (BSBA ‘12) commitment to staying connected with his alma mater.
- Alum Shares His Experience in the Auto Industry and Lessons of Teamwork
- Tuesday, May 10, 2016
Ken Shamus (BSBA ’01), finance supervisor at Ford Motor Company says the lessons of Ford’s turnaround can be applied to other industries.
- Retired Pitt Professor Names Undergraduate Fund after Beloved Wife
- Monday, April 4, 2016
Dr. Myron Taube, a retired professor of English at the University of Pittsburgh, recently made a gift in memory of his late wife, Marion Taube (MBA ’72), a former accounting instructor at the Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business and College of Business Administration.
- Pitt Business Alumnae Turns Her Passion Into an Exciting Career
- Monday, April 4, 2016
Since embarking on her journalism career, Prachi Gupta (BSBA ’09/BA ‘09) has reported on the Sundance Film Festival, interviewed celebrities like Priyanka Chopra and Seth Meyers, and has offered commentary about race, gender, and politics on NPR, CNBC, and Al Jazeera America.
- EMBA Alum Is Leading Closely Held Business To New Heights
- Wednesday, March 9, 2016
In the Pittsburgh region, there are many closely held and family-owned businesses that have been operating for generations. One such business, Turner Dairy Farms Inc., celebrated its 85th anniversary in 2015. What started as a local milk delivery service with just four cows has grown into a thriving operation producing nationally-ranked dairy products.
- Pitt Business Couples
- Thursday, February 11, 2016
Whether it was in class, or through friends, many graduates have found love at the University of Pittsburgh’s Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business. If you met your spouse at Katz, or have news to share about your family, email us at email@example.com. The news you share may be included in the 2016 Pitt Business magazine!
- PhD Alumnus No. 1 in the World for Research Productivity
- Wednesday, December 16, 2015
Varun Grover (PhD ‘90) was recognized by the Association for Information Systems as number one in the world for research productivity, and identified as the second most influential researcher in that field among 6,000 of his peers.
- Alumna Is Inspiring Non-Traditional Accounting Professionals
- Monday, November 30, 2015
Sara Conroy (BSBA ’07) established a solid accounting career working for the Big 4 following graduation from Pitt Business. She was a tax associate for PricewaterhouseCoopers for three years, and a senior tax analyst for Global Tax Management for two years. Even with her success, she felt the tug of another calling pulling her in a different direction.
- Alumna Enhanced Her Studies with a Truly Global Experience
- Monday, November 2, 2015
Nicole Ebert (BSBA '06) was a dynamic and ambitious student. Following graduation, she enhanced her resume by moving to South Korea to live and work for five years, building a truly global network through the friendships she developed and professional contacts she acquired.
- From the classroom, to the city, to the world. Pitt Business Alum finds success in Dubai.
- Friday, October 23, 2015
Inspired by a friend who had found success in the hospitality industry in Dubai, Ian Riddick (BSBA ’03) decided to globalize his career and leave his role as VIP host for the Hyde Bellagio, Las Vegas.
- PhD Alumnus Named AACSB International 100 Influential Leader
- Tuesday, September 29, 2015
Paul Shrivastava (PhD ’81), executive director of the global sustainability organization Future Earth, has been recognized as one of the first 100 AACSB International (AACSB) Influential Leaders.
- PhD Student Emily Bulger Promoted in the United States Air Force
- Thursday, September 10, 2015
This summer, a group of family members, friends, and faculty of the University of Pittsburgh Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business gathered to celebrate the promotion of Emily Bulger, MBA ’06 and current PhD student, to the rank of Major in the United States Air Force.
- Alumni Spotlight: Greg Petro (MBA ‘00) Removes Distance Between Consumers and Retailers
- Thursday, July 30, 2015
Greg Petro is founder, president, and CEO of First Insight Inc., a predictive analytics company that helps some of the world's largest retailers and manufacturers successfully bring new products to the market
- Alumni Spotlight: Mmasekgoa Masire-Mwamba 2015 Thought Leader
- Monday, April 27, 2015
Mmasekgoa Masire-Mwamba’s (MBA ’90), former deputy secretary general of the Commonwealth Secretariat, was selected as the school's 2015 Thought Leader in Business. She has extensive experience in business development in Africa and has served in diplomatic roles all over the world.
- Alumni Spotlight: Jeff Fox (MBA ‘83) Named E&Y Entrepreneur of Year
- Monday, February 23, 2015
Jeff Fox (MBA '83), CEO of Source4Teachers, was named Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year in the Philadelphia region. His company provides substitute teachers and paraprofessionals for school districts.
- Alumni Spotlight: Consultant Helps to Grow New Markets in Middle East
- Friday, December 19, 2014
Dennis Steigerwalt (BSBA ’03), international director for the Pittsburgh firm IBACOS Inc., helps foreign companies invest in and engage with the growing markets of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), which include Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates
- Alumni Spotlight: Philadelphia Business Executive Honored for Service and Professional Success
- Thursday, November 20, 2014
In recognition of his achievements in business and his commitment to philanthropic endeavors, Richard White (MBA ’91) was named a 2014 Minority Business Leader by the Philadelphia Business Journal.
- Alumni Spotlight: Pittsburgh Startup Captures the Science Behind the Swing
- Tuesday, November 4, 2014
The best hitters in baseball swing the bat with a thrilling combination of speed, power, and control to consistently drive the ball hard, far, and into the spots where the fielders aren't positioned.
- Alumni Spotlight: Money Manager Creates Innovative Hedge Fund
- Monday, September 29, 2014
Patrick Browder (MBA '11) is the co-founder of Browder Capital, a Fort Worth,Texas company whose hedge fund is quite different than those offered by their Wall Street counterparts. The trading platform is more transparent, more accessible to average investors, and more liquid.
- Alumni Spotlight: New Book to Help Startups Get Traction
- Tuesday, August 26, 2014
San Francisco entrepreneur Justin Mares (BSBA '12) is the co-author of "Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers," a new book based on interviews with more than 40 well-known company founders including those at Wikipedia, Reddit, Kayak, Evernote, and more.
- Alumni Spotlight: ESB Bank CEO Honored with Pittsburgh Female Executive Award
- Friday, June 27, 2014
Charlotte A. Zuschlag (MBA ’81), president and CEO of ESB Financial Corporation and its subsidiary ESB Bank, is a recipient of the 2014 BusinessWomen First Award by the Pittsburgh Business Times, given to the top female executives in western Pennsylvania.
- Alumni Spotlight: Appointment to President’s Commission Latest in His Legacy to Service
- Tuesday, June 17, 2014
For 30 years, Shekar Narasimhan (MBA '75) has used his business background to mitigate the effects of brutal poverty in Appalachia and his native India. Now he is serving on the President's Advisory Commission on Asian American and Pacific Islanders.
- Alumni Spotlight: His Charity Lets You Literally Fight for a Cure
- Tuesday, May 20, 2014
Andrew Myerson (CBA '05) is the co-founder of Haymakers for Hope, a nonprofit that gives people the chance to fight back against cancer by participating in high-end boxing matches that raise tens of thousands of dollars.
- Pitt Black MBA Network Expands its Mentoring, Recruiting Reach
- Tuesday, May 20, 2014
The Pitt Black MBA network will focus its efforts in 2014 on mentoring programs for diversity students, the recruitment of high-quality MBA candidates, and fundraising for the organization's student scholarship fund.
- Alumni Spotlight: Fighting Crime at the Microscopic Level
- Friday, April 25, 2014
Cybergenetics President and Co-Founder Ria David (EMBA ’08) is leading a Pittsburgh-based firm whose proprietary DNA analysis is helping to solve difficult homicide cases and to identify victim remains in mass disasters.
- Katz-Educated Executives Offer Strategies for Success
- Friday, April 25, 2014
The recipients of the 2014 Distinguished Alumni Award of the Katz School shared their leadership lessons during the Strategies for Success lecture. Collectively, the three individuals had more than 75 years of management experience.
- Alumni Spotlight: Engineering/MBA Grad Named Pennsylvania Young Engineer of Year
- Friday, March 21, 2014
Anthony Fitzpatrick (MBA/ENGR ’10, ENGR ’03) is the recipient of Pennsylvania's 2013 Young Engineer of the Year award. He has served in the U.S. Navy Civil Engineering Corps and is a project manager with Michael Baker Jr. Inc.
- Alumni Spotlight: Channeling Sports Into 100 Lessons for Managers
- Monday, February 17, 2014
James Earle (MBA '95) is the author of "100 Yards of Success: Leadership Lessons from College Football." He draws on his experiences in the University of Pittsburgh's football program to relate practical lessons for managers.
- Couple Run Major Thailand Renewables Co.
- Tuesday, January 21, 2014
Somphote Ahunai (MBA '92) and his wife Blanca Shulan Huang (MBA '92) are heading up a thriving energy company in Thailand. Their company is a manufacturer of bio-diesel fuels and is building new large-scale solar power plants and wind farms.
- 2013 Thought Leader John Heller
- Monday, January 6, 2014
The successful CEO of a major federal contracting firm, John Heller (MBA '90), the 2013 Thought Leader in Business Speaker of the Katz School, focused his presentation on the three R's: risk-taking, responsibility, and rewards.
- The International Business Consultant
Ranel T. Wijesinha completes business development assignments in the geopolitically sensitive locales of Afghanistan and the post-Soviet states of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and the Kyrgyz Republic, among others.
- Fulbright Scholar Researches India's Alternative Fuels
Bioengineer John Round (MBA, MS-ENGR '11) is working in India during the next nine months under a Fulbright scholarship. He is analyzing the developing nation's biofuels industry.
- Giants of Project Management
Two Katz chaired professors, along with an alumnus, were credited as among the most influential researchers in project management in a paper published in the International Journal of Managing Projects in Business.
- Riding to the Top Full Throttle
Toby O'Brien Jr. (MBA '91) is the owner of Hot Metal Harley-Davidson in West Mifflin, the largest dealership in the Pittsburgh market. He didn't get there just because he loves bikes - it took a solid business foundation, too.
- Windows of Opportunities for Homeless Veterans
Jared Souder (MBA '10) draws upon his experiences as an Iraq war veteran to serve as executive director of Veterans Place of Washington Boulevard, a Pittsburgh nonprofit that provides temporary housing to homeless veterans. His job is far from easy, but Souder wouldn't have it any other way.
- April 12: 49th Annual Business Alumni Awards
Tickets are available for the April 12 Business Alumni Association Awards. Now in its 49th year, the ceremony is an outstanding opportunity to network, enjoy good food and drink, and support your alma mater.
- Alumni Panel Offers Strategies for Success
Put a retired executive from the electrical power industry, a former executive/current consultant in telecommunications, and the dean of a business school together to talk about successful business strategies and many different viewpoints emerge.
- Eat'n Park Chair Named Pitt Legacy Laureate
James Broadhurst (MBA '66) is the chairman of Eat'n Park Hospitality Group, a diversified food service company that handles everything from Smiley cookies to upscale catering at the Carnegie museums of Pittsburgh. Broadhurst is a 2011 University of Pittsburgh Legacy Laureate.
- Inaugural Katz Invitational Held
The inaugural Katz Invitational Case Competition drew MBA teams from Carnegie Mellon (Tepper), Penn State (Smeal), Case Western Reserve (Weatherhead), Buffalo, and University of Pittsburgh (Katz).
- Disaster Recovery Part of Alumna's Skill Set
Claudia Maddox (MBA '71) spent more than 25 years in telecommunications, surviving industry upheaval and the Y2K drama. She is one of the first female African American students to graduate from Katz.
- Exploring the Genetics of Consumption
On the surface, people's buying habits can seem unpredictable, irrational, and elusive. But there are patterns behind everything. Powerful data mining tools are making new discoveries into consumer behavior by analyzing digital data.
- 2012 Thought Leader: Lessons in Starbucks' Transformation
Starbucks executive Jeffery Hansberry (MBA '89, A&S '86) spoke to Katz students about global consumer products strategy as the 2013 Thought Leaders in Business speaker.
- Alumni Mentoring Program for MBAs
Mentoring is a powerful force in business. It enables the transfer of knowledge and creates valuable networking connections. Katz MBA students have access to one-on-one alumni mentoring through a new program.
- Open Enrollment for Engineering Workshop in August
Business professionals and engineers are invited to the Pneumatic Conveying Workshop on Pitt's campus from August 13-15. The workshop covers this important engineering process, taught by a Pitt engineering professor.
- Education Reformer Targets Indonesian Youth
Inspiration comes in many forms. Antarina S.F. Amir drew upon her business background to grow a school system in her native Indonesia. Her schools don't follow rigid curriculums and favor active learning over memorization.
- Meeting Buyers at the Decision Point
Shopper marketing answers the holy grail of consumer goods questions: who is buying a product, where, and why? Megan Hennigan (MBA '11) explores what triggers people's paths to purchase for the global food company H.J. Heinz Co.
- It's Not Cell Spying: From Concept to Start-Up
Cell phone users are getting younger every year, with elementary school kids increasingly going mobile. Julie Dobson (MBA '79) is the creator of a smartphone application that makes monitoring the phone an opportunity for good parenting.
- Lucky To Be Alive, She Never Gave Up
Jennifer Burroughs (MBA '12) was the victim of a violent pedestrian accident where she was hit by the driver of a stolen car. She fought hard to recover from her injuries and is among the Katz Class of 2012.
- Private Equity Investor a Passionate Entrepreneur
The entrepreneur is a unique animal, with guts and passion and no fear of risk. For Joe Campolo (MBA '93), food business entrepreneurs are the chief focus of his own highly successful private equity firm in Chicago.
- Insurance Consultant Dives the Seven Seas
Jon Persky (MBA '83) is the owner of a highly successful insurance consulting firm. He's also an accomplished diver who visits the world's most exotic locations as much as he can.
- Career Management Seeking More Alumni Involvement
A highly engaged and active alumni community is critical to the continued prosperity of the Katz Graduate School of Business. The Career Management Center has made increasing alumni involvement a priority in 2013.
- Katz Creates Official LinkedIn page
Katz has expanded its social media presence to create an official Katz LinkedIn page. The "company" page is a nice complement to the existing group pages run by the school's MBA and CBA alumni, which are outstanding. Be sure to follow Katz on LinkedIn.
- Spring 2013 Alumni Magazine Out
Get your coffee table ready: the spring 2013 Pitt Business alumni magazine is in the mail. The edition features alumni with high-powered positions in fashion and innovation -- and much, much more.
- Alumni Corner: The Right Fit at Lucky Brand
The fingerprints of Brant Hawk are on the latest designs of Lucky Brand clothing. The CBA graduate lives in Los Angeles, where he uses his business expertise to author the fashions of today and tomorrow.
- Pitt Black MBA Network is Thriving
The Pitt Black MBA Network is expanding its programs to support diversity students at the Katz Graduate School of Business. The group travels with Katz students to national recruiting conferences and is also expanding its scholarship fund, mentoring programs, and recruiting programs.