- Doctor of Business Administration, Harvard University
- Postgraduate Diploma in Management, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
- Bachelor of Technology, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
Courses Recently Taught
- Strategic Planning Systems (PhD)
- Strategic Management (EMBA and MBA)
- Strategic Planning and Control (MBA)
- Chindia (EMBA)
- Strategic Visioning for a Global Future (EMBA)
- Business of Humanity: Strategic Planning in the Era of Globalization, Innovation and Shared Value (EMBA)
John C. Camillus has held the Donald R. Beall Endowed Chair in Strategic Management since 1991. In addition to teaching in the MBA and doctoral programs, Camillus has been extensively involved in designing and offering executive education programs for practicing managers in the United States, Europe, and Asia. Prior to joining the University of Pittsburgh, he was Professor of Management at the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad.
Camillus served as Associate Dean - the chief operating officer and chief academic officer of the Katz School-from 1982 to 1990. He also served as Executive Associate Dean in 2007 and 2008.
His research on strategic planning and management control has been funded by diverse organizations including the National Science Foundation and the University Research Council. He has published extensively in professional journals, including Harvard Business Review, Sloan Management Review, Long Range Planning, Management Science, European Management Journal, Strategic Management Journal, Academy of Management Journal, and Academy of Management Review. He has also served on editorial boards and authored several books including, most recently, Wicked Strategies: How Companies Conquer Complexity and Confound Competitors (University of Toronto Press, 2016).
He has been elected to the Sigma Xi scientific research society and the Beta Gamma Sigma honor society, and has been cited three times by the Foundation for Administrative Research for "contributions to corporate and organizational planning."
Camillus has served as a consultant to over 100 organizations, including Fortune 500 companies, professional service firms, government agencies, and nonprofit organizations.
He has served on several boards including the Andy Warhol Museum, the Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council, and the Mukerji Foundation. He was a Trustee of the Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh. His public service has been recognized by the Senate of Pennsylvania and he received the Chancellor's Distinguished Public Service Award in 2006. He received the Distinguished Alumnus Award from the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, India's premier business school in 2011, and the Inaugural Katz Diversity and Global Leadership Award in 2015.
Camillus has received numerous awards in recognition of teaching excellence, including the Best Teacher Award at the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, and the University-wide Chancellor's Distinguished Teaching Award at the University of Pittsburgh.
Research Interest Areas
- Wicked Problems in Strategic Management
- The Business of Humanity®
- Strategic Planning and Management Control - Processes and Systems
Wicked Strategies: How Companies Conquer Complexity and Confound Competitors. (University of Toronto Press, 2016).
“The Wicked Challenge of the Business Environment,” International Journal of Business Environment, 8(1), (2016), pp. 19-31.
“Wicked Problems,” The Palgrave Encyclopedia of Strategic Management, (April 2015). [Online] Available at: http://www.palgraveconnect.com/esm/doifinder/10.1057/9781137294678.0780.
“The Business Case for Humanity in Strategic Decision Making,” Vilakshan, 11(2), (2014), pp. 141-158.
“Logical Incrementalism,” The Palgrave Encyclopedia of Strategic Management, (October 2013). [Online] Available at: http://www.palgraveconnect.com/esm/doifinder/10.1057/9781137294678.0378.
"Organizational Identity and the Business Environment: The Strategic Connection," International Journal of Business Environment, 4(4), (2011), pp. 306-314.
"Strategy as a Wicked Problem," Harvard Business Review, 86(5), (2008), pp. 98-106.
"Continual Corporate Entrepreneurial Search for Long-Term Growth," (with Gaurab Bhardwaj and David A. Hounshell), Management Science, 52(2), (2006), pp. 248-261.
"Managing the Future: Planning Paradigms and Scenario Development," General Management Review (with Dong-Gil Ko), 3(1), (2001), pp. 21-31.
Strategic Planning and Management Control: Systems for Survival and Success. (Lexington, MA: Lexington Books, 1986).
Budgeting for Profit. (Revised edition, paperback and hardbound). (Radnor, PA: Chilton Publishing Company, 1984).
"Visionary Action: Strategic Processes in Fast-Cycle Environments," Strategy & Leadership, (with Richard T. Sessions and Ron Webb), 26(1), (1998), pp. 20-24
"Shifting the Strategic Management Paradigm," European Management Journal, 15(1), (1997), pp. 1-7.
"Do Your Planning Processes Meet the Reality Test?" Long Range Planning, (with William S. Gilmore), 29(6), (1996), pp. 869-879.
"Reinventing Strategic Planning," Strategy and Leadership, 24(3), (1996), pp. 6-12.
"Managing Strategic Issues in a Turbulent Environment," (with Deepak Datta), Long Range Planning, 24(2), (1991), pp. 67-74.
"Multi-objective Assessment of Strategic Planning Effectiveness: A Discriminant Analysis Approach," (with V. Ramanujam and N. Venkatraman), Academy of Management Journal, 29(2), (1986), pp. 347-372.
"Corporate Strategy and the Design of Computerized Information Systems," (with Albert L. Lederer), Sloan Management Review, 26(3), (1985), pp. 35-42.
"Technology and Market-Driven Life Cycles: Implications for Multinational Corporate Strategy," The Columbia Journal of World Business, Vol. XIX, No. 2, (Summer, 1984), pp. 56-60.
"Exploring the Concept of 'Fit' in Strategic Management," (With N. Venkatraman), Academy of Management Review, 9(3), (1984), pp. 513-525.
"Designing a Capital Budgeting System That Works," Long Range Planning, 17(2), (1984), pp. 103-110.
"Reconciling Synoptic Formalism and Logical Incrementalism: An Integrated Approach to Designing Strategic Planning Process," Strategic Management Journal, 3(3), (1982), pp. 277-283.
"Corporate Strategy and Executive Action: Transition Stages and Linkage Dimensions," Academy of Management Review, 6(2), (1981), pp. 253-259.
"Six Approaches to Preventive Management Control," Financial Executive, (48)12, (1980), pp. 28-31.
"Operational Planning: the Integration of Programming and Budgeting," (with John H. Grant), Academy of Management Review, 5(3), (1980), pp. 369-379.
"Plotting the Planner's Place," Planning Review, 7(4), (1979), pp. 13-16.
"Evaluating the Benefits of Formal Planning Systems," Long Range Planning, 8(3), (1975), pp. 33-40.
Awards and Honors (Selected)
- Chancellor's Distinguished Teaching Award, University of Pittsburgh, 1988.
- Chancellor's Distinguished Public Service Award, University of Pittsburgh, 2006.
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, 2011.
- Gold Medal for Scholastic Merit, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, 1968.
- Inaugural Katz Diversity and Global Leadership Award 2015
- Distinguished Professor Award for Teaching Excellence MBA class of 2013
- Distinguished Professor Award for Teaching Excellence, FLEX MBA class of 1998.
- Best Teacher Award, Indian Institute of Management, 1976.
- Distinguished Professor Award for Teaching Excellence, Executive MBA classes of 1986, 1996, and 2011.
- Outstanding Teacher Award, International Management Center, Budapest, 1990.
- Excellence in Teaching Award, International Executive MBA, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011.
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Executive MBA, 2004, 2011—2014.
- Excellence in Teaching Award, MBA Programs, 2002, 2010—2015.
External Service and Assignments
- Trustee, Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh
- Board Member, Andy Warhol Museum
- Executive Vice Chair, Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council
- Editorial Boards of Strategy and Leadership, Vikalpa, Vilakshan, and Long Range Planning.
- Associate Editor of International Journal of Business Environment.
- Chair, President and Vice President, Planning Forum, Pittsburgh Chapter
- International Advisory Board, Ahmedabad University and Indian Institute of Management, Udaipur
Served as a consultant in strategic planning and control, and organizational design to over 100 organizations on four continents; including Fortune 500 companies, professional service firms, government agencies and nonprofit organizations.
High output IC engines in mobility applications.