PhD in Finance, University of Florida
BS in Finance, West Virginia University
Doctoral Courses Recently Taught
BFIN 3016 Interaction of Industrial Organization and Finance
Undergraduate Courses Recently Taught
BUSFIN 1311 Corporate Finance
Shawn Thomas joined the finance faculty in 1999. Professor Thomas has research interests in the area of empirical corporate finance. He has published in the Journal of Finance, the Journal of Financial Economics, the Journal of Business, the Journal of Accounting and Economics, and the Journal of Corporate Finance. He is a member of the American Finance Association. From 1991 to 1994, Professor Thomas was a bank examiner for the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
"Bank Loan Loss Provisions: A Re-examination of Capital Management, Earnings Management, and Signaling Effects," with Anwer S. Ahmed and Carolyn Takeda, Journal of Accounting and Economics, 1999, Vol. 28, pp. 1-25.
"Corporate Structure and Equity Offerings: Are There Benefits to Diversification?" with Michael D. Ryngaert and Charles Hadlock, Journal of Business, 2001, Vol. 74, pp. 613-635.
"Firm Diversification and Asymmetric Information: Evidence from Analysts' Forecasts and Earnings Announcements," Journal of Financial Economics, 2002, Vol. 64, pp. 373-396.
"Corporate Diversification and Asymmetric Information: Evidence from Stock Market Trading Characteristics," with C. Edward Fee, Journal of Corporate Finance, 2004, Vol. 10, pp. 105-129.
"Sources of Gains in Horizontal Mergers: Evidence from Customer, Supplier, and Rival Firms," with C. Edward Fee, Journal of Financial Economics, 2004, Vol. 74, pp. 423-460.
"Corporate Equity Ownership and the Governance of Product Market Relationships", with C. Edward Fee and Charles Hadlock, Journal of Finance, 2006, Vol. 61, pp. 1217-1251.
"Financial Leverage and Bargaining Power with Suppliers: Evidence from Leveraged Buyouts" with David T. Brown and C. Edward Fee, Journal of Corporate Finance, 2009, Vol. 15, pp. 196-211.
"Accelerated Share Repurchases" with Leonce Bargeron and Manoj Kulchania, Journal of Financial Economics (forthcoming).
Awards and Honors
- CBA Best Teaching in the Finance Major Award 2009-2010
- CBA Teacher of the Year Award 2008-2009
- CBA Best Teaching in the Finance Major Award 2008-2009
- CBA Teacher of the Year Award 2007-2008
- CBA Best Teaching in the Finance Major Award 2007-2008
- Recipient of Katz Excellence in Teaching Award 2007-2008
- Recipient of Katz Excellence in Teaching Award 2006-2007
- Recipient of Teaching Load Reduction Award, University of Pittsburgh, 2003-2004
- Grinter Fellowship, University of Florida, 1994-1997
- Graduate Summa Cum Laude, West Virginia University, 1991
- Initiate of Beta Gamma Sigma, West Virginia University, 1990