Dhinu Srinivasan joined the Katz School in 1996. He was a visiting faculty member at Purdue University in 2003. At Katz, he teaches MBA and undergraduate managerial accounting and strategic cost management courses, and offers a doctoral seminar on empirical research in managerial accounting. His research interests are in the areas of non-financial performance measures, incentive contracts and organizational performance, cost behavior, strategic cost, and quality management.
His dissertation on non-financial performance measures won First Place in the American Accounting Association's Outstanding Managerial Accounting Doctoral Dissertation Award in 1998. His paper based on his dissertation won the American Accounting Association's Notable Contribution to Management Accounting Literature Award in 2002. Another paper won the first ever "Outstanding Management Accounting Paper at the AAA Annual Meeting Award" in August 2005. His research work has been published in the Academy of Management Journal, The Accounting Review, and the Journal of Accounting and Economics.
He has worked as a naval architect for Hindustan Shipyard Limited, India, and as an information systems executive for Whirlpool Corporation, India. He is a member of the American Accounting Association.
Courses Recently Taught
- Introduction to Managerial Accounting (MBA)
- Strategic Cost Management (MBA)
- Introduction to Managerial Accounting (CBA)
- Strategic Cost Analysis (CBA)
- Empirical Research in Managerial Accounting (PhD)
Awards and Honors
- Winner of the Best Management Accounting Paper at the AAA Annual Meeting Award, 2005.
- Winner of the American Accounting Association's Management Accounting Section Notable Contribution to Management Accounting Literature Award, 2002.
- Coauthored paper won First Place in the Faculty Research Awards, School of Hotel Administration, Cornell University, 2001.
- First Place in the American Accounting Association's Management Accounting Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Award, 1998.
- Arthur Andersen & Co. SC Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, 1995â€“96.
- Carl Nelson Scholarship, Accounting Department, University of Minnesota, 1995.
- E. A. Heilman Scholarship for Excellence in Teaching, Accounting Department, University of Minnesota, 1994.
Professional Service and Activities
- Reviewer for The Accounting Review, Contemporary Accounting Research, Journal of Management Accounting Research, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Accounting Horizons, and Journal of Applied Corporate Finance.
- Reviewer and Discussant for Annual Meetings of the American Accounting Association and Management Accounting Research Conferences.
- Working Paper Series Coordinator and Member of the Executive Committee of Management Accounting Section of the American Accounting Association.
Has conducted research projects for two leading hotel chains, one national retailer, and a large manufacturing company.
- PhD (Accounting), University of Minnesota
- MS (Operations Management), University of Rochester
- MBA (Accounting & MIS), Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, India
- BTech (Naval Architecture), Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, India
"Does CEO charisma matter? An empirical analysis of the relationships among CEO charisma, organizational performance, and environmental uncertainty." Brad Agle, Nandu Nagarajan, Jeffrey Sonnenfeld and Dhinu Srinivasan. Academy of Management Journal. 2006, vol. 49.
"Association of Non-financial Performance Measures with the Financial Performance of a Lodging Chain." Rajiv Banker, Gordon Potter and Dhinu Srinivasan. Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly. 2005. Vol. 46 (4).
"An Empirical Analysis of Continuing Improvements Following the Implementation of a Performance-Based Compensation Plan," with Rajiv D. Banker, S. Lee, and Gordon Potter. Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol. 30, No.3, December 2000.
"An Empirical Investigation of an Incentive Plan That Includes Non-financial Performance Measures," with Rajiv D. Banker and Gordon Potter. The Accounting Review, Vol. 75, No. 1, January 2000.
"Contextual Analysis of Performance Impacts of Outcome-Based Incentive Compensation," with R. Banker, S. Lee, and G. Potter, Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 39, No. 4, August 1996.
Recent Working Papers
"The Role of Non-financial Measures in Controlling Undesired Activities: The Case of Hard Selling," with Alex Thevaranjan and Kissan Joseph.
"Executive Compensation and Non-financial Performance Measures: A Study of the Major U.S. Airlines," with Akin Sayrak and Nandu Nagarajan.
"Allocating Capacity Costs and Pricing for New Product Introduction," with Barry Mishra and Ashutosh Prasad.
"An Empirical Examination of the Impact of Termination of a Performance-Based Incentive Plan," with Rajiv Banker, Seok-Young Lee, and Gordon Potter.
Travel and classical music.