Nicole joined the Katz School of Business in 2016 after receiving her PhD from the University of Washington. Prior to pursuing her PhD, Nicole worked as a hedge fund accountant at International Fund Services in New York after beginning her professional career on the Municipal Bond Sales and Trading desk at Merrill Lynch. Nicole received a Bachelor’s degree in Accountancy from Ithaca College in 2008.
Nicole’s research focuses on individual judgment and decision-making in financial reporting. Nicole’s interest in this area grew out of her work experience in the financial services industry, first as a user of and then as a preparer of financial reports.
Nicole’s teaching interests include varying levels of financial accounting.
Courses Recently Taught
CBA Introduction to Financial Accounting
Awards and Honors
- Two-time "Most Valuable Professor" (selected by Pitt’s Wrestling and Gymnastics teams), 2018
- Katz Excellence in Research Award, 2018
- AAA ABO Midyear Meeting Outstanding Emerging Scholar Award, 2015
- University of Washington Foster School PhD Program Teaching Award, 2015
- Deloitte Foundation Doctoral Fellowship, 2014-15
- University of Washington Foster School Dean’s Achievement Award, 2014
- University of Washington Best Teacher’s Assistant (awarded by the Panhellenic Association and the Interfraternal Council), 2013
- Ithaca College School of Business Dean’s Achievement Award, 2008
- NY State Society of CPAs Superior Scholarship Award, 2008
- 2nd Team CoSIDA Division III Academic All-American (softball), 2008
- Empire 8 Conference Senior Scholar-Athlete Award (all sports), 2008
- Ithaca College Phi Kappa Phi Presidential Scholar, 2008
- 1st Team NFCA NCAA Division III All-American (softball), 2007
- PhD in Business Administration (Accounting), University of Washington, 2016
- Master of Science in Business Administration (Accounting), University of Washington, 2015
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (Accounting; Minor in Mathematics), Ithaca College
Cade, N. L., and S. McVay. Forthcoming. "Understanding the Relations between Internal Controls, Trust, and Cooperation within an Organization." Contemporary Accounting Research.
Cade, N. L., L. Koonce, and K. Mendoza. Forthcoming. “Assets and Liabilities: When do they Exist?” Contemporary Accounting Research.
Cade, N. L. 2018. “Corporate Social Media: How Two-Way Disclosure Channels Influence Investors.” Accounting, Organizations and Society 68-69: 63-79.
Bernard, D., N. L. Cade, and F. Hodge. 2018. “Investor Behavior and the Benefits of Direct Stock Ownership." Journal of Accounting Research 56(2): 431-466.
“Using video to disclose forward-looking information: The effect of non-verbal cues on investors’ judgments” (with Lisa Koonce and Kim Mendoza)
Available for download at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2942245
Nicole, her husband Joe, and her son Ashton enjoy exploring Pittsburgh’s different neighborhoods, attending Pitt sporting events, and trying new restaurants.