Lingling Pan is an assistant professor of Business Administration at the University of Pittsburgh. She joined the Organization and Entrepreneurship group at the Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business in 2018. Her current research focuses on the strategic use of language and communication by organizations and their leaders. Her work largely examines the implications of linguistic and communication strategies for organizations in the context of impression management, entrepreneurship, and competitive dynamics. Lingling holds a Ph.D in strategy from Michigan State University in East Lansing.
Awards and Honors
- Finalist, Karen Legge Prize (2019), Journal of Management Studies
- Katz School of Business Excellence in Research Award (2018-2019)
- Distinguished paper award (2017) – STR Division of the Academy of Management for the paper “Give it to Us Straight: Language Concreteness and its Effects on Investors’ Reactions”, Lingling Pan, Gerry McNamara, Jennifer Lee, Jerayr Haleblian & Cynthia Devers.
- Research grant (2016-2017, with Adam Steinbach) – Moore School Research Grant Program, Darla Moore School of Business, University of South Carolina
Professional Service and Activities
- Academy of Management Journal, ad hoc reviewer, 2018 – present
- Co-organizer with Gerry McNamara (2019), Strategic Leadership and Governance Doctoral Student and Junior Faculty Consortium, SMS Las Vegas Special Conference
- Strategic Management Journal, ad hoc reviewer, 2016 – present
- Journal of Management Studies, ad hoc reviewer, 2018-present
- Reviewer, Academy of Management Annual Conference, reviewer for BPS, ENT, and OMT divisions
- Reviewer, Strategic Management Society Annual Conference, reviewer for Strategic Leadership and Governance track
- Conference session chair, “The dark side of CEO characteristics”, Strategic Leadership and Governance track, Strategic Management Society (2017)
- Organizer and committee member, Logistic Committee for the New Doctoral Consortium at the Academy of Management Conference (2014)
- Organizer and committee member, New Doctoral Consortium at the Academy of Management Conference (2013)
- PhD, Strategy, Michigan State University
Pan, L., Li, X., Chen, J., & Chen, T. (in press, published online 04/12/2019). Sounds novel or familiar? Entrepreneurs’ framing strategy in the venture capital market. Journal of Business Venturing.
Pan, L., McNamara, G., Lee, J., Haleblian, J., & Devers, C. (2018). Give it to us straight (most of the time): Top managers use of concrete language and its effect on investor reactions. Strategic Management Journal, 39(8): 2204-2225.
Nadkarni, S., Pan. L., Chen, T. (in press). Only timeline will tell: Temporal framing of competitive announcements and rivals’ responses. Academy of Management Journal.